Saturday, August 6, 2011

Satisfy your CRAVINGS!

WORKOUT:
45 weights - upper body
2 mile run
40 mins elliptical
15 mins abs and stretching

I have a whole new relationship with the elliptical since I got my new phone. Being able to watch Hulu Plus and Netflix on it while I ellipticize away is pretty fabulous! I watched Master Chef this morning and time flew by!
_________________________________

What do you do when a craving strikes? 

Do you run for your comfort food or look for a healthy alternative???

Do you usually crave sugar or salty food?

By looking closely at what my body is telling me, I realize when I want something salty, really what I want is something crunchy so I grab some rice cakes and they are perfect to do the trick. I can even eat 1/2 a bag and not feel bad about it.

When you want something sweet, it can often times be quenched by fruit! 

Apples are fabulous to crave mid-day cravings and a perfectly ripe mango is the ultimate dessert in my book. Granted we all need our treat once in a while, but throw some fruit in there now and then and you will be suprised how many times that will curb your sweet tooth the healthy way!

If you DO decide to go for the treat, it is always best to make your own. Since I don't keep treats in my cupboards if I want something I either have to buy it or make it myself. Either way this is good because I will either have to leave and go buy something, which a lot of the time I don't want the treat bad enough to do that, OR I will just buy a portion size of a treat and then eat it and it's gone without tons more left around to taunt me later. 

I usually go for making me own. I like knowing exactly what is in the food that I am eating, and then I can always lower the calorie count and fat content to whatever I am going for.
I whipped up these gluten free vegan chocolate muffins with fudge-y frosting a while ago and they were fabulous. I made a small batch too, there was only 6 muffins. I admit to eating a couple, and then put the rest in the freezer as a perfect little treat to defrost for a later date. Just make sure you shove treats in the BACK of your freezer so you will only grab them when you really need them. :)

Also, it is a good idea to look at your diet for the day and see if maybe you are really craving something else like fat but mistaking it for sweets. Fat helps us feel satisfied and when we cut too much of it out of our diet that can leave you with cravings. Those are great times to throw a little avocado on your dish or have some almonds as a snack or PB. Even better, PB on a rice cake! Yum... Oh, and avocado on a rice cake with a little s&p is SUPER tasty.
______________________________________

What are your tips to beat and manage your cravings!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive