Sunday, March 27, 2011

20 Mile Fun Run

WORKOUT SATURDAY: 20 mile run
The run yesterday was REALLY great. Weather was no problem at all (I didn't get blown away OR covered in snow) and I definitely came home with a RUNNER'S HIGH. I didn't end up listening to anything. I was just thinking and setting goals and lost in my thoughts. I even thought about just adding on another 6.2 miles to polish off an even marathon. But then I thought, will Ben be waiting for me at home, cheering and holding a cool new tech shirt and yelling out my time and pace? Probably not. So I decided to save the glory for a couple more weeks.
But really, runs like these are what it's all about. Whether you are running 5 miles or 20, when you are in your own little world and feel like you could go all day, those are the best.

Highlights of my run...
-Listing off things (in my head) I was thankful for, for the first mile or so.
-Passing the cute old man with the "Boston Marathon 1998" jacket on. It was fun to think of what he was like back then, running in his "glory days." Love to see people keep going when they get older and still doing what they love.
-I love saying "hi", "good morning", and waving at other runners. Maybe I'm a dork.
-The Domino's sign guy was wearing a big court jester costume waving his little pizza sign on the road. But this guy had moves I had never seen! He was clearly enjoying his job... and workin it!
-Focusing on form and my stride.
-Totally BIFFING it while crossing a very busy intersection. No harm done, I had a good laugh at myself.
-Getting a call from Ben to make sure I was okay.

After a "Good job babe!" And listening to my rambling, Ben said that I DESERVED a long hot shower and told me to get up there and enjoy it. Ha, really what he meant was I was one stinky girl and said he couldn't stand any closer than 5 feet to me. Whoa! I don't think I have ever been told I smell THAT bad. PROMISE I put deodorant on!

I fixed up some lunch and stretched and rolled it out while Ben entertained me with some YouTube videos. 

Canned chicken mixed with balsamic vinegar, cilantro and mustard... along with lettuce and hummus all smashed on a sandwich. Don't forget the side of carrots and avocado. Interesting combo right? It was good, trust me. I ended up giving Ben a 1/3 of this sandwich because I decided I would rather eat these.
Clean! No SHOWER-LESS SATURDAY today.
We headed up to Salt Lake City to check out the Marathon Route since I wasn't sure where the route really went. This will be the first marathon I have done that is all urban. Usually races around here come out of a canyon for most of the race. I think this route will be fun though and a nice change from what I have done before. I am looking forward to it!
After driving ALL over SLC we stopped and visited my parents and Mom made us a yummy dinner. 
Shredded BBQ chicken, rice pilaf and yams.

We chatted and visited until I was sleepy, which was about 9:45pm. I  know, I AM a grandma.

Have you ever done a marathon without listening to anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment