Monday, July 25, 2011

DC Part 1

WORKOUT:
7 mile run
45 min spin class

PS, I got a new phone right before we went to D.C. I will tell you about it later, but let's just say that it makes my life better EVERY day. I don't know how I lived without it. Past 2 workouts I have been jamming to tunes on it with my new nifty arm band. Oh phone... I love you.
___________________________________

I realize we went to D.C. like forever ago... not really but time has really flown since we have been back. We have had so much family time I have hardly had time to get ANY blogging done! Ah!

Get ready for the next few posts about the fabulous D.C.! I will try not to bore you with a play by play, but I will post some highlights.

I really fell in love with the city while we were there. The feel of it, the people, even the weather was growing on me by the time we left! I was totally embracing that humidity.

I honestly have to say that this is the best vacation, aside from our honeymoon, that Ben and I have been on so far. It was just so great! It was so nice to be able to stay with family and they were so hospitable that it was very relaxing and chill. I feel like we stayed for the perfect amount of time. We got to see and do the things that were most important to us and yet it still left us wanting more. We had time to unwind and I really felt like I got a good taste of the city. So SO great. LOVED our trip!
The first day we got right off the plane and headed to Arlington Cemetery. I had no idea how BIG it was and what a cool part of the city it was in. I couldn't get a photo that would do the beautiful green rolling hills covered in the simple white crosses justice. 

My sister-in-law Ash and little nephew Oliver were the BEST tour guides. And most fun to talk to I might add. Oliver LOVES his Uncle Ben. He even figured out how to say my name by the end of the trip. Bonus points for me!
We walked a TON while we were there, which I actually appreciated a lot. Great way not to gain any weight on your vacay by walking all over the place! Plus you really get to see the city the best that way and riding the Metro was totally convenient. 

I had heard about the segway tours that they have and it totally cracked me up. We were pretty amused anytime we saw them rolling by. Once you get in that heat and start walking all over the place, you can really see the appeal though. :)
All the walking made for some pretty hearty appetites and D.C. didn't lack in Whole Foods! Woo Hoo! Good thing because I was STARVING! There was one right down the street from where we were staying, it was my saving grace! Let's just say I tried to talk Ben into going there every day.

Everything good and delicious is in that box along with some Seafood Gumbo on the side.
Ben had a good mix too and I am even proud of him for throwing some watermelon in there. 
 Jess and Ash were kind enough to hook us up with an air mattress in their place and we were happy as clams. There was a great fitness area there too with all the basics that you need. You KNOW I loved that!
Ben always thinks I am a little bit nutzo when I am packing for a vacation and I never leave home without my workout gear and running shoes. 
If the weather hadn't been so warm and humid I would have totally tried a run down by the monuments and river! There are SO many people who run, cycle and other outdoor sports in the area! I LOVED seeing them all out and about and they didn't let that humidity get them down one bit! Since I wasn't accustomed to it yet, I probably would have shriveled up like a prune. I can't lie, I see places like that with really great active communities and they are so appealing to me. I would totally live there! 
____________________________________
If you could go anywhere on vacation right now, where would you go?
All this thinking about how great this vacation was is really making me want to hurry up and go to Florida! Next vacation please!

No comments:

Post a Comment