Sunday, July 10, 2011

Granola and Bacon

On my last day at my mom's we started working on a project she has been wanting to start for a long time. She is making a quilt for my brother but didn't know what to pick for him or what he would like. After a trip to the fabric store I found a new quilt pattern and we got started!
I love this pattern because it is so classic. It is the kind of quilt you would pull out of a cedar trunk in 50 years and tell you kids that grandma made this for you.

Plus I LOVE the stars! I am getting better at this whole quilting thing and wanted to work on something with her that would be a little more challenging. It really isn't as tricky as I though it would be! I mean... once my mom figured it all out and cut up the swatches for us to sew together... that kinda simplified it for me. Ha. I am still learning!
So we made a great start and she sent me home with some swatches to keep sewing together on my own with my machine. Then when we get back together we can cut out some more and we can keep going.
I am really excited to see how it will look! I love the piece-y patchy looking quilts. There is something so homey and cozy about them.
______________________________

EATS
Cooking up some food for Ben, he has gotta eat around here too!

Peanut Cranberry Granola
Toasted to perfection. It took all my will power not to eat this. I made sure and put regular protein powder in it so that I wouldn't be tempted. I wasn't to the point of eating oats yet when I whipped this batch up.
Broccoli Rice Bake with Bacon
This is before I popped it in the oven to toast up.
Normally that bacon would be turkey bacon, but I found some regular stuff on the freezer so Ben got a little splurge. I added in some spinach, green beans and cottage cheese to bump up the nutrition a little too. It's just hiding underneath all the bacon, but don't let it fool you. ;)
_____________________________________
What does your family/spouse request when you ask what they want for dinner?
Lately Ben has been asking for things like lasagna, taco soup and enchiladas. Sounds like comfort food to me. I can't blame him... living with a fridge crammed full of green veggies like ours is, sometimes that just doesn't cut it.

No comments:

Post a Comment