Thursday, July 14, 2011

Healthy Breakfast Ideas!

WORKOUT:
1 mile run
1 hour pump class
1 hour nap
Wait... what!?! 
I was SO POOPED this morning after working with my family all this week running a house full of people through nutrition and fitness basics. My body said to take it easy today and that it needed some extra sleep. I was eager to oblige. I could have napped for about 3 hours. Darn you doctor's appointment that I had to wake up for. The 45 mins of cardio I had planned just didn't happen. I am looking forward to hitting it hard tomorrow in spin though. With my crazy schedule I have really missed getting my spin on!

Being with the fam I did get to spend LOTS of time with my cute nieces though!
Can we talk about the adorable piggy towel? OMG.

And this swim suit? Those chubby legs?
_______________________________

With all the work with the family going over the basics, I figured I would share some ideas on here too!

When looking to make a dietary change it can be REALLY overwhelming. I think breakfast is one of the easiest places to start. It isn't a meal where you have to stress about feeding the whole family the same thing and if you start your day off right, you are more likely to continue to make better choices as you go through the rest of your day and avoid that donut at your next work meeting. ;)

Make your life EASY. You don't need to recreate the wheel each day and try to think of something crazy new and different. Breakfast is a pretty repetitive meal so if you can get a handful of ideas stored away in your head then you are set up for success to start your mornings. I honestly have just a handful of favs that I end up eating ALL THE TIME. Nothing wrong with that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you don't even EAT breakfast I am not going to get into preaching the CRAZY IMPORTANCE of having it every day but I will say this... 
You should have breakfast within an hour of waking up in the morning. If you are like me and head out the door as soon as you wake up to get your workout on and don't like food bouncing around in your tummy while you workout, at least eat SOMETHING small. Before heading out for a run I will often just slice off a piece of a banana to have as I walk out the door. SOMETHING is better than nothing. Eating breakfast to start off your day tells your metabolism to WAKE UP and GET GOING! Why would you want to delay telling your body it is time to start burning up those brownies you ate last night?

So just eat breakfast okay? Otherwise it will haunt me at night if you don't. I need my sleep, so do me this little favor yeah?

With any meal it is important to have a combination of both carbs and protein. Keep in mind, basically anything that is not protein or fat is a carb. Fruits are included in that. Protein with your meal helps you feel full and gives you energy and helps build your muscles which in the long run will help you lose weight and maintain a slim physique. We all LOVE protein now right?!

"Get to the meals already Holley!" 
Okay okay... here we go.

Breakfast idea #1 - Oatmeal & Yogurt Parfait
1/2 cup dry oatmeal cooked with vanilla and cinnamon
1/2 cup light yogurt, or one of the individual serving cups
*Cook the oatmeal, then top with yogurt and sprinkle with some fresh fruit. 1/2 a banana, some sliced strawberries or blueberries would all be divine.

Note that there is NO sugars or other sweeteners added to the oatmeal. When you mix the yogurt with the oatmeal, that sweetens it for you. The warm and cold combo is really delightful.

Breakfast idea #2 - Protein Shakes
1 scoop protein powder
1/2 cup frozen fruit
1/2 cup All Bran Cereal
Ice and water (per amount listed on protein bag)
*Blend it up! Easy peasy. There are LIMITLESS possibilities with this, you can never get bored. Try different fruits, toss in 1 TB of cocoa powder to make it chocolate, splurge on 1 TB of PB once and a while, skip the All Bran IN the shake and instead put 1 cup of Multi-Grain Cheerios on the top once you pour it in your glass and have some yummy crunch! I LOVE shakes. Great breakfast or even as a fix for a dessert craving.

Breakfast idea #3 - Open Face Eggs & Toast
1 slice whole grain bread toasted
2 eggs & 1 egg white cooked as desired
1 big slice of tomato
1 serving of Light Laughing Cow cheese wedges
Mustard
*Spread the Laughing Cow cheese wedge over one side of your toast and then top with your cooked eggs. Sometimes I cook my yokes all the way but I love them runny on toast too. Keep in mind the more you keep your eggs in 1-2 bigger pieces the easier it will stay together. Then throw on your big slice of tomato and top with some mustard. I always keep a huge bag of spinach in my fridge so I throw in 1-2 good handfuls of spinach with the eggs as they cook. I just love spinach but the extra greens are fabulous to get in there. If you don't like it though, no worries.

Breakfast idea #4 - Meal Replacement Bar
For those who are TRULY on the go, this can sometimes be the best option OR just a lifesaver in a pinch for the rest of us. I keep bars in my car all the time in the glove box for emergencies at any time, not just breakfast. There are always going to be mornings when despite your best efforts you end up waking up late or other things get in your way. Be prepared and have some bars stashed in your car or at your office. I always had a drawer at work full of  healthy quick snacks and things so that I always was prepared.

*Note: All bars are not equal. Make sure you are choosing a bar with a calorie allotment that is appropriate for what you are having it for. If it is subbing for a whole meal like breakfast, you would want something more in the 300 calorie range. If it is as a snack, you might want to be more around 100-200 calories. I say this because for ME a 100-200 calorie bar would never hold me over. So that is just something to think about.

Also read your labels and compare. Most brands have TONS of sugar and really are more like a candy bar. Look for something with a protein count of about 15-30 grams per bar. Staring your day off with a candy bar isn't going to do you any favors. I always think real food is the best option and ALWAYS the best for you, so try to get that as much as you can.

Breakfast #5 - Kashi Go-Lean Cereal and Skim Milk
Cold cereal is my comfort food, nuff said. Kashi Go-Lean cereal is a get choice to have with some skim milk. It is lower in calorie than a lot of other cereals and it brings with it a decent amount of protein and fiber to fill you up. Once you add the milk in with its nutrition, that is a pretty decent meal. Other cereals are great choices too, just read your labels and watch for too much sugar. When choosing a cereal I always think... for the serving size, is this cereal going to fill me up at all? It might be low in calorie but if you have to have 4 bowls of it to be full it is probably not the best choice.

So there are a few ideas to make sure you get your day started off right and your metabolism REVVING in the morning!
__________________________________________

What quick and easy healthy breakfast ideas do YOU have!?!
Please share with everyone! It is always fun to try something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment