Saturday, July 16, 2011

Small Changes

WORKOUT:
2.5 hour hike


This afternoon Ben and I went for a hike with the fam up in the mountains where they live. It was a beautiful day and the hike was not lacking for pretty scenery! There was a nice mix of up hill and levels parts, lots of rivers to cross and shade from the heat.

As I am playing "trainer" for them, I had to level out the playing field for the hike so that everyone would get their workout in. My Dad, who is the expert hiker, carried the backpack with all the water bottles etc... which was about 30-35 pounds and my sister carried some 3 pound hand weights. 

It was a fun afternoon and great change of pace! My Dad was a good reminder to me that it isn't always just about getting your calorie burn in, but that it is good for you body, soul and mentally to just get out and enjoy nature. Also that the hike was a good stretch for your legs which is a great point. The back of my legs has been tight this week, so this was a great activity to do today.
____________________________________

I was recently asked about what some good SMALL changes you can make in your diet to start moving more towards eating right.

Here are a couple tips that I think are really quick and easy. Jumping in full force when starting ANYTHING can be overwhelming, and to really CHANGE your lifestyle for the better you need to take it one step at a time. Being healthy for a lifetime isn't something you can just do for 6 months and then go back to your old ways. To really change your health and live your best life you have to make it your LIFESTYLE.

So here are a couple things that are easy to start implementing and help get people ready for the next step.

-Drink 3-4 liters of water every day. 
When working out or in hot conditions, drink even more. I try to drink 1 oz per pound of body weight every day. 
Not only does you body need it, but there are a whole slew of benefits you will receive from it. One of the big ones is that it will curb your hunger and help you determine if you are really hungry or if you are just thirsty. PLUS, it aids in fat loss and who doesn't love that?

-Get 7-8 hours of sleep a night. 
This makes such a difference! Getting on a good sleep schedule makes you feel so much more rested and helps your body recover and perform it's best the next day. This also aids in weight loss and keeps your hunger from getting out of whack.
-Start saying "No" to one thing every day. 
Skip on a treat, a handful of trail mix or extra cheese or sour cream on top of your meal. 
You don't have to say no all day long, but often we make nutritional choices mindlessly or out of habit. 
So instead of having a brownie grab a piece of fresh fruit! I consider THAT a better treat anyways. ;)

People I haven't seen for YEARS see/talk to me and think, "What the heck Holley, I don't even know who you are anymore!" They think one morning I woke up and was magically changed into a fitness and nutrition fanatic. Not true. I started small just like anyone else and adding little things and changes one at a time.

Take a small step and then another! You will be amazed looking back on how far you have come!
____________________________________

What SMALL change have you recently made in your life for the better???
I have been focusing on letting little things stress me. It is summer and I want to enjoy family, sunshine and having fun! It is going pretty well. I still get a little worked up about things once and a while but I am making progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment