Friday, April 8, 2011

Guiltless Granola & Mr. Navy

Today's workout comes courtesy of BEN! Tappering Tami over here (aka ME), took the day off today. I was feeling some mild irritation on my IT band after yesterday's workout. Don't freak out, but I am not taking any chances so I spent extra time rolling my muscles with THE STICK and icing. I am using my positive attitude to heal anything that might be askew. I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful. :)
Here is what Mr. Navy worked!

WORKOUT:
 4 mile run

WEIGHTS - Chest/Triceps
3 Sets Flat Dumbell Bench Press (7-8 Reps or until fatigue)
3 Sets Inclined Dumbell Bench Press (7-8 Reps or until fatigue)
3 Sets Dips (15 Reps)
3 Sets French Triceps Overhead Extension (8 Reps)
3 Sets Chest Fly Machine (8-10 Reps or until fatigue) 
3 Sets Skullcrushers (8 Reps)
____________________________________

Time for the granola recipe I promised! I have tried a lot of recipes and I learned a little from each, but here is a basic version I have come up with that I always come back to. It is a great WORKING base recipe because you can switch it up and add different things to it each time.

GUILTLESS GRANOLA
DRY INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 C. Old Fashioned Oats
1/2 C. Nuts*
1/4 C. Flax Seed
1/2 C. Oat Flour or Protein Powder
1 TB Cinnamon 
Pinch of salt

WET INGREDIENTS
1/4 C. Canola Oil/Coconut Oil/Olive Oil
1/4 C. Agave
1/4 C. Water
2 tsp. Vanilla

*For the nuts, I switch it up every time. I used a mixture of cashews and sunflower seeds this time. But almonds, walnuts, or even some dried fruit would also be divine.

Mix dry ingredients...
 Add in wet ingredients...
And stir it up!
Spread evenly on a cookie sheet and bake it for approx 30-35 mins at 350.

Baking times will vary so keep an eye on it. You will also need to check it and stir it around with a spatula half way though. The edges get dry and browned up faster than the middle.
I hope you TRY it and like it! Really get creative with it! Once you get the basics in, you can throw really whatever else in you want. Pumpkin seeds, quinoa, candy... you get the idea. ;)

Granola is a weak spot for me. If it is around, we both snack on it till it's gone. Like I said , this batch was gone in less than 24 hours.
_____________________________________

Time for a DATE with my man! Friday afternoon, punching the clock on the way out the door, is the best part of the week! :)


What is your favorite thing to put in granola?!


What fun weekend plans do you have!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive