Friday, May 6, 2011

Fatty Fats

WORKOUT:
6 mile run
40 min weights - chest/back/biceps
10 min abs

Something FABULOUS happened...

That is TWO sets of keys with gym memberships attached! Ben joined MY gym! Woo!


I thought this day would never come. Ben does not like talking to the cheesy/sleazy sales reps at gyms and has refused to sign up due to that fact alone... for a LONG time.

Since my job-o is no more-o he can't work out on campus for free anymore. He had to finally bite the bullet. Thank goodness for boot camp coming up so that he CAN'T go without a membership.

So I have a new gym buddy! Hooray! More fabulous quality time together! This morning we had a great run together in the PERFECTLY sunny and refreshing morning air and then headed over to the gym. 

Am I dreaming? Is this happening!?!


I know what you are thinking... "Holley... Your dreams are lame." Yeah, I am easy to please. But I am going to enjoy this while it lasts. 

After yesterday's kick boxing and todays weight lifting my back is feeling WORKED. And it feels SO good.

This is a normal pre-workout snack for me. Bananas and PB are two of my favorite things.


Any excuse to eat PB is good enough for me.

Until the past 6 months or so, I used to stay away from PB indefinitely in my "quest to  be healthy."  I guess I should really say "quest to be skinny." It just seemed like extra unnecessary calories to me. Eat less move more works for sure but there is something to be said for GOOD fats and how they satisfy your appetite. 

I keep to a pretty low fat diet but have learned along my nutritional journey the importance of including healthy fats as well. Things like olive oil, avocado, nuts and of course PB are necessary and important but also satisfy appetites. I have found when I include a little of these during my day I end up eating less and feeling more satisfied. Plus they just taste good and are completely enjoyable! 

I still have to keep an eye on myself though. Too much of a GOOD thing is NOT good either. It is easy to get carried away.


It would be a shame for any of that to have gone to waste.

With any nutrition plan, I think it is KEY to find things that are "treats" to YOU and that you make sure you incorporate them into your diet. Whether that means cutting out calories on things that don't matter to you, or swapping things out. For me salad dressings are a no brainer, I don't care at all leaving them out. I am totally happy using balsamic vinegar or fresh lemon and lime juice. And I LOVE when summer fruits come in season! There is no need to only stick to eating fruits and veggies that can get boring, I swap apples for mangoes and other fruits in the summer.

Keeping a balance in your diet and making sure that you don't feel deprived is crucial to staying on track and succeeding in your goals.

So I am eating my PB and LOVING it!
______________________________________

Do you cut out all extra fats in an attempt to be as strict as you can on your calories? 
Or are you like me and have embraced the excuse to eat them? ;)

What foods are TREATS to you!?!
PB, mangoes, PB banana toast with agave, blueberries, dates, cold cereal, watermelon, chocolate, baked goods (really ALL baked goods) and soft serve ice cream!

I CAN'T find any SOFT SERVE ice cream/frozen yogurty place for the life of me that has dairy-free options!!! 
Except for 1 flavor at Earth Fruits which tastes like a grape slurpee, not my fav.
Does ANYONE know of somewhere I can get some!?! 
You would be my hero.

I pick soft serve over hard ice cream ANY day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive