Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pump Up Your Breakfast

I love me some oatmeal. A LOT.

I eat it for breakfast, snacks, dinner and have even called it a dessert.

I can't help myself.


I know not everyone is on the OATMEAL TRAIN with me, but if you aren't, maybe you should reconsider.

Here are just a FEW of it's redeeming qualities.

-lowers cholesterol
-full of soluble fiber
-1/2 cup serving has 5 grams of protein
-helps fight free radicals
-full of vitamins and minerals
-it's cheap!

Part of the beauty of it is that you can switch it up so much! There is an unending list of things you can top it with or add to your bowl to make it yummy. Here are a few of my favorites.

-cinnamon and vanilla
-nuts
-peanut butter and almond butter
-fresh fruit 
-raisins or craisins
-dried fruits (dates are my fav)
-almond milk
-agave
-coco powder
-protein powder
-chocolate chips

The list goes on and on! Just the fresh and dried fruits alone could be about a million different combinations.

Recently I tried adding 3 egg whites to my bowl of oats. That bumped up the protein from 5 grams to 17 grams by only adding 60 calories! That is pretty great in my book.

This is a cinnamon, vanilla, dates, bananas, pb and agave bowl with the egg whites added in. Mmm!

_________________________________________

What yummy toppings do YOU put on your oatmeal that I didn't list here???
The more ideas I can get... the more oatmeal I can eat.

My name is Holley... and I am passionate about oatmeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive