Monday, May 16, 2011

Moist Chocolate Cake

We all have family recipes that are passed down and we LOVE. Here is a twist on a family classic from my childhood. I am always looking for ways to make things healthier and easier to enjoy.

Less fat AND less sugar but still tastes GREAT? That definitely makes me enjoy it more. ;)

MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE


Dry ingredients:
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
Wet ingredients:
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
(I use almond milk in mine)
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

Mix all the dry ingredients together and then add in the wet ingredients. After that is mixed well, add 1 cup boiling water and finish mixing!

You can bake the cake in a 9x13 cake pan for 30 mins at 350 degrees or you can split it into 9" round cake pans and bake at 350 degrees for approx 25 mins to make a layered cake.

Make sure you don't over bake it so it stays nice and moist!



I made a filling using a 1/2 box of Junket Raspberry Danish Dessert with raspberries folded in. Then topped it with chocolate frosting. DELISH!


_______________________________________

Do you have family recipes that you have "healthified" and can enjoy more often now?!?


Send me a photo and tell me how you have made it healthier and I will post it on the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive